CUSTOM TRANSMISSION TUNING-TCM
FINISH OFF your Duramax tuning refinement project with modified TCM (transmission control module) programming. There are several areas that involve shifting and torque converter locking which can interfere with comfort, performance, cooling and economy. This product resolves or improves these issues, and puts the finishing touches on your Custom Tuning, items that can’t be addressed in ECM tuning.
FOR EXAMPLE, have you ever noticed that your torque converter locks up in high gear at a low speed that leaves your engine speed at a torque deficient 1400 rpm on the highway? This leaves you in a power deficient condition if you need to react to changing traffic conditions, the result is a very long turbo spoolup time as well. Another example, tow/haul: Have you noticed the pedal feedback bucking under light throttle lockup in 2nd and 3rd gear? It is especially irritating with hotter performance tunes, a passenger comfort annoyance, and extra wear and tear on the drivetrain. Have you wished that the truck would downshift sooner when pulling a load? It can now.
Larger tires cramping your performance? Your TCM doesn’t know that your speedometer has been adjusted, and so your shifts occur at lower torque points. Power tuner made the shifting rough? Mainly this is because fueling has changed along the throttle position scale. Unhappy that the truck is grade braking when you don’t want it to? Or do you want to be able to coast down long grades without the engine braking at over 2000 rpm, wasting fuel and slowing your progress. OR, perhaps just want a race TCM that maximizes lockup above 1800 rpm for maximum energy conversion to the road?
This product addresses these points:
- Fix shift point rpm after a tire size increase or a performance tune installation.
- Longevity option: shift shaping and torque converter changes to reduce 5th and 6th gear Allison limp mode with higher power tunes.
- Increase Economy: Permits idle rpm coasting capability in “normal” mode. Permits longer coasting between stops, and allows better downhill coasting.
- Improve ride comfort: Stops that annoying T/H bucking action in 2nd and 3rd gear lockup. Adjust shift points, and Torque Converter Lockup. Lowers transmission temperature in stop and go traffic on hot days.
- Performance improvement option: Keep the transmission from shifting up to an rpm that is too low, especially in the higher gears.
- Can be used with stock tuning if desired for Dealer visits.
- Performance optimized shift duration for crisper shifts and lowest practical defuel time.
- A Tow/Haul mode that can be used like a “sport performance” mode as well as for towing.
- Affordable: $375, only $295 when purchased with Custom ECM Tuning, . A $75 core charge applies.
CHOOSE FROM 3 BASE TCM’s. THE OPTIONS AVAILABLE FOR EACH ARE LISTED
FACTORY PLUS: This is more or less, factory shift patterns, corrected for tire/gear ratio changes, and a bug or 2 removed. For those who want to preserve factory feel, and take advantage of some options.
- LONGEVITY OPTION
- HIGH RPM DOWNSHIFT (BRAKING) OPTION, or
- LOW RPM DOWNSHIFT (BRAKING) OPTION
REFINED COMFORT: Our MOST POPULAR TCM, provides for torque optimized upshifting. downshifting to match, and some refined shift points that make more sense. If you have a stock transmission, this is recommended.
- NORMAL MODE: Silky smooth car-like feel. An important adjustment is correcting TC lockup for comfort and power production, no low-throttle torque converter lockups below 5th gear.
- TOW/HAUL: Among the many changes, this TCM dramatically reduces the pedal related bucking found in the stock tow/haul mode. Torque converter is unlocked during low load, part throttle use in 2nd and 3rd gears, yet locked with mid and high power settings, making this a very smart tow mode, as well as a decent performance mode.
- LONGEVITY OPTION
- HIGH RPM DOWNSHIFT (BRAKING) OPTION
TOW+TOW: Both modes for Towing.
- NORMAL MODE: Comfort enhanced towing mode, that prevents TC harshness except under high load.
- TOW/HAUL: Same as above, but with options
PERFORMANCE RACE SHIFT TCM: Recommended for high HP rebuild transmissions. A better streetable race tune.
- NORMAL MODE: Combines some of comfort refinements above, with more aggressive torque converter during high throttle events.
- TOW/HAUL: Lockup shifting with shift points for the track.
50/50: NORMAL MODE: Improved comfort normal mode, and a race quality tow/haul mode.
- NORMAL MODE: Comfort/Economy settings
- TOW/HAUL: Race settings
- LONGEVITY OPTION: NORMAL mode option. The 5th and 6th gears represent the toughest stress on the stock Allison, and where limp mode commonly occurs on stock transmissions. This mode reduces stress on weak-link components when running higher power ECM tuning. Transmission limp is dramatically reduced and eliminated in many cases. NOTE: does not defeat limp protection, just helps eliminate the condition that leads to limp). Highly recommended for stock transmissions using tuning over +48 HP.
- COAST BRAKING OPTION (HIGH RPM): Turns Tow/Haul into a more aggressive engine brake when pulling your load from stoplight to stoplight. Functions only when off the gas pedal, downshifts occur earlier commanding rpm up to 2800 rpm. If you like our turbo brake ECM tuning, and want to make it even more effective, you will like this compatable high rpm downshift option. Tow/Haul option only.
- COAST BRAKING OPTION (LOW RPM): Less aggressive version of above, to 2200 rpm.
- WARMUP OPTION: Working in conjunction with the ECM fast warmup, this option delays torque converter lockup so higher engine rpm warms the engine, and the additional viscous slip warms up the transmission in colder weather.
- RACE LOCKUP: Adds torque converter locking to all high performance use. Occurs seemlessly and automatically. T/H mode only.
- COAST UNLOCK: For that plush passenger car feel, plus longer coasting distance, TC is unlocked during most off-throttle coasting periods. Normal mode only.
- 6-SPEED UPGRADE: This converts your 5-speed Allison code to 6-speed code. After you perform a valve body modification, you will have a 6-speed transmission. $150 option
PRICING: $295 plus a $75 refundable core charge.